Friday, May 27, 2011

The May Queen

Hello my lovely artsy peeps! I've been taking a break from the frustrating problems I have been encountering with blogger as of late.  I  have not been able to leave comments on many of your blogs and yet amazingly you all have continued to visit me and leave gloriously lovely comments on mine!  I have not checked to see if my google I.D. is working yet today 'cuz I want to post first.

Before I share any more with you I would like to give Kristin over at Twinkle, Twinkle a shout out for her new event, "The Summer of Color" commencing June 6th. If you haven't linked to her event button, pop on over and check it all out!  It's going to be a fun, colorful summer!

Guess what?  I've done another doodle girlie! (surprise, surprise).  Ha, the magic chair strikes again...


She is the May Queen.  I figured I'd better get her posted while it is still May!  I had a lot of trouble with this one 'cuz I gessoed the face with golden's gesso and the colored pencils wouldn't work. (I usually use liquitex artist grade gesso - not the basic.)  So I used copic markers and they didn't like the gesso either!  It's a little sticky feeling but I played around with it, adding sparkly gelly roll pen work to it.  I got tired of working on this before I could add the glitter to her crown.  This was really a bit of a mess!  I guess there are certain mediums that just don't mix well!  Golden's gesso is so much smoother than the liquitex and I love it for painting faces on canvas but not for these doodles ever again!

I am starting a new project in the studio, The Green Faerie.  She is mixed media on canvas and already a challenge.  I hope to be able to share her soon!  Maybe I will wait for Kristen's color event and hope she has a "green" week in which I can showcase her!

I want to also give a shout out to Sung-Hee Hong (Regina) who has been sharing her amazing soulful work by video lately.  I've become addicted to her process and insightful way of expressing herself.  Thank you Sung-Hee!

Well, I'm anxious to get into the studio and mix up the green paint for my faerie.  I've been listening to Enya while I work on her...

So keep creating and wear that paint around your fingernails proudly (as I do)!

Forever in art,

Jessica xox

14 comments:

Lucy said...

I love your art- and this May queen is perfect for this month! I just posted some girls too over at my art blog- come see if you'd like:)
http://laguidoune.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Jessi, I too am having lots of problems leaving messages.GRRRR With that said, May Queen is a beauty. I seriously must get a magic chair. You're def inspiring me to use more happy, bright colors and I thank you for that. And I have to also mention, the wording for May Queen ROCKS! Led Zeppelin baby.

Janet said...

The May Queen is great....and I love me some Led Zeppelin and Robert Plant!

MeUpcycled said...

Loving the May Queen -- which could also be an early song by Liz Phair -- no disrespect to Zeppelin! Jess, the layering is beautiful in this piece. It looks like the sunlight is shining behind her. Watching as my OPI "cattitude" blue surrenders to various acrylics, gel medium, etc. and wondering whether I should just paint my nails Golden from now on...Karen

Anonymous said...

Hi again! Thanks for the sweetest comments...you asked about the paint I used for the girls purple hair...it's Stewart Gill Byzantia color is constantine. I bought it on-line.

linda (dots n doodles) said...

Another beauty! You would never know that you had problems with the gesso as her skin look flawless. I do love how you draw your eye(s). I am still looking for my magic chair!

Cameron said...

Hi Jess!

Thanks for letting us know about your experiences with using certain products! I'll put it in my "good to know" section of info :)

Despite your challenges with her, she is lovely! As usual...heehee!!

apinkdreamer said...

i just loooove the portraits you make!!!!

Liette alias Pixelle said...

Hi Jessica...since yesterday,I try to make a comment but the dear blogger refuse and I am not able...I try again, now..
I just want to tell you that Queen is rich of colors i LIKE so much...your magic chair is fabulous...I am eager to see your next chef-d'oeuvre my dear friend...as always, I appreciate each detail, each color and each line...you are my fav...xxx

E Makes Art said...

If I sit in your magic chair will I be able to draw like you? Great tips about the gesso... she still looks lovely though! I hope blogger behaves better...what is going on with it lately??!! Take care.

xoE

Red Cat Cards said...

Jessi =)
I hope I didn't make you cry too much?? :D oh come on.. don't cry.. I'll give you a gigantic hug if you were right by my side and I know you would do the same ! Thank you for those very caring comment and I look forward to your contrubution ! May you feel that you are never alone at any time :)
xoxoxo

Kristin said...

Oh, YEAH! Thank you so much for sharing the event here - it's coming soon and I'm getting excited - thank you for always being such a wonderful source of support! I really appreciate you. (and I love green ;).
AND your May Queen is spectacular! I love the quote (you really write well) and her flora and that crown. Just really beautiful, xoxo

Red Cat Cards said...

oh.. did blogger act up again?? I didn't get the comment... =(

Kristin said...

Ha! You and I are one - paint chip speak and Tiffany Blue - what could be better?! Have a great week, xoxox